Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Used Cars Blow


Well everyone it comes as no surprise to me, but my '98 Chevy Blazer is back in the shop UH-gain. I'm really getting fed up with how many problems it's had. We've already replaced in the year and a half since we got it, all 4 tires, the radiator, part of the A/C, some hoses and more. As background info, we got this blazer Jan. of last year from my uncle who takes care of his cars VERY meticulously. Always got the oil changed early, tires rotated, you name it. Well he and his wife decided to get an Envoy or something and were going to trade it in. We said, "Hey we'll take it!" b/c we needed a "kid car", and got it for a reasonable price. Well the month after, sure enough the problems began. True, it gets quite a bit of usage and we've put another 15,000 miles on it, but still! I guess it's to be expected. All Chevy's get to that 9-10 year mark where you replace everything and then it may last you for a while after that and eventually just die. I hope we're getting past the "replacement phase" and into the pre-death phase (and pray that it's a couple more years before that happens). As a driver, I haven't minded driving this car at all. In fact I like the space that it has for cargo, driver and passengers. It doesn't feel super bulky, parks easily, and I feel has done well in the driving regard. Has a fair accelleration, GREAT air conditioning, HORRIBLE gas mileage, but still feels comfortable to me. It was the best we could do at the time.


So yesterday, I'm getting on the freeway and the light starts blinking "Service Engine Soon" as I'm going up this steep on-ramp hill. It's working a little harder than normal. Once on the freeway the light stays on and I'm a little freaked out it might die on me at any moment. I glance at my sticker on the windshield and realize it needs an oil change. I get it changed, have them check all the fluids..... nothing wrong. Light is still on. We take it in this morning to our mechanic and they'll check it out, hopefully have whatever's wrong fixed by tomorrow. PLEAAAASSSEE be a minimal problem. We can't afford in time or funds to replace something super major like, uh, The Engine. Hold a good thought for "Bessie" as we call her. I'll keep you updated as we hear from them.

No comments: