Monday, May 5, 2008

Funerals

I enjoy funerals. How sad is that? Obviously no one likes death and the separation of family and friends, loved ones and little ones. But I have to say that I like the end result of a funeral. Families coming together in unity, forgetting all pettiness and things they disagree about to celebrate the life of one they love and will miss. I've not been to too many for my own family, but I've sung at a few for others. Each one's different, and that's okay. I'm singing at another one this morning. A little boy was killed in a car accident. I don't even know the family. Still, I feel a solemn obligation to help lift their spirits with a small gesture of kindness by sharing my gift of music. How great music is in lifting our heavy heads and renewing our spirit with hope and energy. I'm so fortunate to sing with such talented people today (Freddy & Ben Ashby, and Ricky Hale), and I pray that the message of our song touches people's hearts.

Confession, funerals used to scare me, and I hated having to go. I think it was because it seemed for a while there, I would answer the phone whenever the bad news of someone's passing came. It scared me for a while to answer the phone. Then the viewings where you'd see the individual who no longer was "really" there, who looked a little scary with the makeup on and in a coffin (P.S. coffin's really are creepy). Finally, I hate to get emotional in front of other people, and inevitably I always would.

I now try and look at all of this in a new light. This week has taught me that each of us has an allotted time in life to live, and you must be ready to depart at any time. Viewings aren't about the body, but the memory of the joined soul that was body and spirit. Family again can gather together and share one last private moment with their departed. It's a tender moment in that last family prayer before the casket is closed. And it's Okay to be emotional. Sometimes I think people are too strong. Sharing emotion is part of what makes us human, and I think it reminds us how much we need to rely on each other to make it through life.

I like funerals. I'm leaving for one right now. My heart goes out to friends and family who've lost close friends and family this last week.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

deena leena said...

Thanks for your true perspective on the celebration of life. What a comfort the gospel of Jesus Christ is to those who let it into their hearts. You can hear and see the gospel in action, but until it is a part of your heart you truly cannot see life as it is meant to be. I look forward to seeing more of your thoughts leading up to your mission. You will most likely hit the ground running as soon as you step off the plane!