Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Saying Sorry & Making Amends

"Keep your words soft and tender because tomorrow you may have to eat them." ~Author Unknown

I've been thinking about language the last few days. How ours is an imperfect one, where things are often confused and misconstrued and taken differently than intended. How often do we as a society read a book or a literary piece, a comment sent in a message from a friend, or whatever it may be, and we miss the meaning or understand it in the wrong way. I think of many ways that I could have joked and maybe really hurt someone or made a comment and destroyed some sense of trust. Maybe I critiqued and did it in a non-constructive way and not even known it, causing a friend or loved one to doubt themselves or not want to try again. I think about clients I may have not been my 100% most customer-friendly self with, and may have caused them to feel less important and not want to do as much business with my company. There are times I overreact, make rash decisions with good intentions that go wrong. So for anyone out there who I've hurt or caused offence or pain to, I'm really sorry and ask your forgiveness.

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ~ Mahatma Ghandi

I know that it's hard to forgive others sometimes, and it does (as the quote describes) require much strength of character to accomplish. Who knows the lives we touch and the influence each one of us has? I only hope that I'm remembered for the good things I said and not the bad. As one who lifted others up and didn't bring them down. I guess this final quote sums up the best way to make amends:

"Right actions in the future are the best apologies for bad actions in the past." ~ Tryon Edwards

1 comment:

Dana said...

Great thoughts.....wise words. I'm confident that your actions confirm what is truly in your heart and that the goodness there will always be remembered in the end. You're three for three ("good stuff" posts) with the birth of your blog.