Thursday, August 19, 2010

Glasses and Stomach Flu

Well hello there blog world. I must say that this week has not been what I had expected it to be. I began well, finding random work opportunities and working hard to get things done. I was going along strong, using every possible minute to be productive.

Oh yeah! I had to tell you. So I have been stressing about my job situation and the money front for when I head to BYU. I seriously need help like every other poor college student out there. Well, I went to a wedding reception of a good high school friend of mine and ran into some other best friends of mine. I was asking them about possible work opportunities for work up at BYU and my good friend Jonathan Hipps mentioned one opportunity. He works as a PHP web design programmer (I hope I got that right), and he offered to teach me and guide me through the process of learning. Apparently it's a kick butt job that has ULTRA flexible hours and pays GREAT to start off. Thus, I could not ignore such a proposal. I was so relieved to hear of an opportunity like this. Meanwhile I am doing tutorials and small practices online to gear up for my big debut. I am determined to get this job and have the opportunity. It's hard, I'm not gonna lie, but at this point I am to desperate to not let it pass me by.

SO, half my days I have been spending on the laptop, perusing these training guides online. It's slow going and tedious, but well worth it. Tuesday I was running around doing some work for my uncle Eric for his Global Dental Arts company. I had just finished an interview with a dentist and I TOTALLY spaced it that I had an appt. with the optometrist at 5:30 (mind you it was 5:20). I called them and told them that I was still coming and would be a couple minutes late. WELL let's just say that I hauled A and got there as quick as I could. I mean for a good portion of the journey I was dropping dimes, hitting every single green light cuz I'm lucky like that.

THEN the skies decided to rear their ugly head and sprinkle. And for those of you who know AZ driving, you can't POSSIBLY drive at a normal velocity if the sky is dropping liquid. Oh no, not possible. Thus every Joe and his car slammed on his brakes as I was within 2 miles of the place. So I arrive slightly behind (5:40 PM) and the receptionist ladies are not too happy with me. Apparently they were already double booked and trying to squeeze every person possible in before closing time, and me arriving 10 min. late threw the whole world into chaos. I thought, "Oh brother" and sweet-talked my good friend Lucy the technician into letting me anyways (she and I go way back :) she's been my technician for like 6 or 7 years). Anywho, the eye doctor was telling me that I wear my contacts too much (Ha! big surprise) and that I need to only wear them from like 8 to 5 and then take them out. Apparently I have like swollen blood vessels near my cornea and that could be a problem in the future.

Now in all honestness, I seriously have been TRYING to be careful with my eyes. Before my mission I didn't take good care of them, but whilst in Argentina I was WAY religious in putting them in just before we left at 10:00 and then taking them out at 10:00 at night when I got home. I mean, COME ON people! What more can I do. SOOOO to resolve said problem, I am going to buy some sick glasses that I do not HATE to wear like current Pieces glasses that I am currently sporting. Thus I will be able to go even days without using said contacts because of the pride of new glasses I will purchase. Unfortunately I will have to buy those up in Utah because we are so close to our departure date for Utah that they would not be able to order them in time for us (takes 7 business days to arrive and we leave Tuesday). 


Well the skies opened up and poured when we left and there was a wonderful electrical storm over our side of town. My dad offered to take us to Rubios after our appt. Jay and I agreed. Well, we ate Rubios, and I INSTANTLY felt it not sit well with me. I'm telling you, that chipotle salsa or the spicy, not sure which, was like bad. I KNEW in that very moment it was gonna cause me problems. I went home and was feeling sick thereafter, and was very nervous because the following day I was supposed to speak at an early morning breakfast for the Priests and leaders of our ward. No pressure.


I wake up... Not good. At multiple times of the night I was in the bathroom. Now I am just saying a silent prayer, "Please have no incidents in this breakfast".  The breakfast goes well, 5:30 as you know is very early to be talking about spiritual things, but I pull my mind together and share some mission experiences and my plug for all these teenagers to go on missions. Upon finishing, you can be sure I made a beeline for home and spent the rest of the day on the potty. No fun for sure. OH! not true. I had breakfast with my friend Taylor Morris *aka talented member of Barrage - You should look them up and watch them on YouTube, not even joking*. He got home from China a month or two ago and is about to head out on tour once more to Europe. He's such a famous fiddling rockstar now, always on the go. Well, lucky me he found a block of time that we could go catch up after 2 years and have breakfast (on this of all my stomach days). BUT it was still enjoyable, we went to the Farmhouse in downtown Gilbert. Quaint and delicious I might say. Very busy though. I braved part of a pancake and a fruit bowl down, more I could not do. All in all, so great to hear of my friends world travels, and we exchanged opinions on world cultures, based on U.S. and other nations, etc. We felt all cultured and in the know as you can imagine. Thanks Taylor for the awesome time!


SO! Here I am, day 2 of stomach flu, but this time feeling slightly better. I wasn't the most productive yesterday. I had moments of productivity with my PHP training, but you can only focus so much when your stomach is killing. I spent the majority of the day in bed sleeping. Probably just what I needed.


Today I think I might brave leaving the house once more. Have SOOO much to do before Tuesday when we embark to BYU. I'm procrastinating packing and organizing my life in boxes. I hate that so much. Ughh... IN the meantime, life is good, love my family. And I am using my crappy glasses to give my eyes a rest. So if you see me, lie to me and tell me how much you love my glasses. 


Yours truly, Spectacles and Immodium.


aka Bryson

2 comments:

DianD said...

So sorry to hear of your stomach and eye problems! Best of luck on your job opportunity! I have complete and total confidence that you will be able to do it and do it supberbly besides! I've seen you in action! :) So glad you're doing a blog so I can keep up a bit with your life! Love ya "B"... Best wishes for a fabulous year! G'ma

Allyson & Jere said...

Awwww man, that sucks! Sorry you were struggling there for a bit.

Can't wait to see the new glasses.