Saturday, August 14, 2010

Back in the U.S.A.

Hey family and friends!

Well as you have read from the title of this post, it is great to be back in the U.S.A. For those of you tuning who didn't know, I am just recently home from serving a full-time mission in Buenos Aires, Argentina. First off I say it was the experience of a lifetime and I absolutely loved every minute. The experiences were life-changing and I would definitely say that I am a different person because of it.

As in any returned-missionaries' life, it was initially a shock to arrive home, not knowing quite how to react to certain situations or how to act in certain company. Heck, I still feel really weird at times, as if I should be out doing some important work, clapping houses (yes they clap, not knock, houses in Argentina) and helping people. Fortunately these last 10 days have been especially full of fun activities and things to keep me busy. I really have enjoyed the reunions with family.

Funny story, I arrived in Arizona early on my flight, but I was the very LAST to get off the plane. I thought to myself, "Well, it's barely even 9:40 which is when they are expecting me. Do I wait and give them some time before I go charging on out there?" Then I thought to myself, well of course they would be out there already. This is a very special day. I would be on time, and even early. NOW, other fact, my entire family on my mom's side (Including her and my siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents) were not going to be there. I remember walking out of the security part of the terminal and I see my Dad and an uncle. My Dad looks a bit out of it and no one else seems to be around. My uncle says, "There's your boy".... and that was that. I gave my Dad a hug, and looked around. No one there. It was really funny because apparently, Dad had had a hard time sleeping the night before and my stepmom had given him some sleeping pills. You remember that scene on Father of the Bride II where George takes the Vodnik? Frank goes, "He took them both?! Two Vodnik is like 'Goodnight George, see you next Thursday!'" Yeah so that was my dad that morning. Comatose. So my stepmom is frantically trying to get him coherent and out the door on time.


Next at the airport they arrive and drop him off with my uncle to go wait for me at the gate. Not long after meeting up with my dad, here come the rest of the group. I can hear the herd running through the tunnel much before they arrive. It was a sweet reunion with my Stepmom Allison. I can't tell you how much I love her and my dad. They are just so supportive and amazing. Pretty soon here come all Allison's siblings and their kids in tow. The welcome home banner flying behind them, still freshly painted. All in all, an unconventional welcome home. But since when are we conventional in any form? It was so great to be on American soil, and quite strange to hear people speaking in English in a public setting. I remember the first visit to the restrooms in the airport and was quite shocked #1 with the cleanliness, and #2 with the futuristic nature of even the bathrooms. 


We had a fabulous first day home with lunch and visiting time with Dad and Al. I was released that afternoon by Pres. Bluthe. I tell you it was a really sobering thing having him ask me to take off my plack. I wasn't really prepared for that one. Missionaries identify SO MUCH with that plack, what it says, what it stands for. You really want to be better because of it. It's a sort of protection.


Well the next morning of being home I found myself waking up bright and early head to Greer, a small mountain town in the beautiful white mountains. My mom's side of the family has this awesome tradition that every summer we get together for a week in Greer in a few cabins and we enjoy time together. In any such week you can be sure to find us playing a ridiculous amount of games (including Hearts, Nerds, Boggle, Scrabble, Signs, Crossword puzzles, and many more), eating delicious food, holding Biggest Loser competitions, taking mass amounts of pictures, and now Kareoke-ing (a new family favorite). All's I can say is that this week is one of my favorites of the year.  I met my Mom and her husband Adam in Payson and we drove together the rest of the way. The coolest part of the trip was as we arrived at the cabins. Imagine a cabin on a hill and an inclined driveway. The family all grouped with welcome home signs, screaming and cheering the whole time as we climb the hill in our car. My mom was emotional, I was so excited. I jumped out of the vehicle and was engulfed in hugs from my siblings and everyone else. Pictures were taken, brief hello's were had. Such a special experience. The rest of the week was so relaxed and I remember thinking at times, "What do I need to be doing?" A missionary is not at rest having so little to do. 


Sunday was the day I had to report in sacrament meeting at church. I am not a fan of speaking in church, and found myself the night before up late pondering what in the world I could say to the ward. You see, it is so different here speaking to members who have been so all their lives. #2 it is so weird for me still to speak about gospel topics in English. YET everything seemed to go well. Our ward hasn't seen such attendance in quite some time, they had to open all the overflows and we quite filled up that building. I am just so grateful for so many family members and friends who came. I was amazed at the quantity of people from all 4 sides of the family that came out to support me. My brothers AND Sister and I sang the song, "I love the Lord" - an arrangement of Be Still My Soul with a new text *so cool*. My talk went well, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. 


That afternoon we had my open house at my Dad's. Such a cool setup Allison and her sister Caroline DeCesare did at our house. It truly felt Argentine :) We had a great turnout and I think a good time was had by all. Highlight of the open house, flooding from the upstairs bathroom. Gotta love it. Good thing it was about the time that everyone had left. 


Monday was a sad day for the family as we had the funeral services for my Grandpa Melvin Jones ***see upcoming post for more details***


Since returning home I have had the great opportunity to see friends of mine. I had a fantastic time with my good friend Lindsey Ishikawa. I was so happy to see that being around her was just like old times. We were best friends in high school, and it seriously was a huge relief to see that 2 years hadn't changed our friendship.  The same goes for all the others I have had the opportunity to visit with and catch up on old times. Last night was way fun to go to the Hipps house and have a singing night with all my brothers and Jonathan and Zach. Way cool to sing stuff in 6-part harmony.


Anywho, just a glimpse into the life of an RM, weeks 1 and 2 of being home. Now I prep to head to BYU in less than 2 weeks and begin the next major chapter of my life. I am so grateful that my little bro. Jamyn is coming up there with me this time. Will be a blast I am sure! For now I continue packing and prepping for the transition. Thanks again to all those who came out and supported me these last couple of weeks. It's been so great to see you all.


Best friends are best!


Bryson



5 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

Yay Bryson for jumping back on the blog wagon!

Great post, SO full and informative!

You DO sort of have a great family, if I DO say so myself.

So glad you're home and health and all is well. Can't wait to see what the next chapter brings.


Oh, and also, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

DianD said...

So glad you're doing a blog, "B"! I've put it in "my favorites" with Allyson's and Dixie's! :) I'm just jealous that I wasn't invited to be a mouse in the corner at your 6-part-harmony-song-fest! :) LOVE that sort of thing! Guess I can't tag along forever, though! :) Glad you're back and Welcome!!! :)

Jere Van Patten said...

So glad you're back mister! I'm adding your blog to my bloglist and hope that Gramma Dian will add mine to hers too. =) (wink)

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!!

Breckyn said...

you and your brothers sang I love the Lord eh? I get left off the programs...but out of my own brothers blog? really now? Lame sauce!! ;) whatevs. haha love you

Bryson Jones said...

I'm Sorry Breck!!! You know I was thinking of you too. The truly sad part is that it's Spanish that's got me mixed up. The word "hermanos" has the meaning for brothers AND sisters, regardless of if there are both. You don't have to specify. THUS sometimes I say brothers forgetting I must specify. Whoopsie! You know I love ya :)